Monday, April 23, 2012

2010 "Ladies of DC - Wonder Girl" art by Taylor Cordingley

Click To Enlarge

"They're fun, they're sassy and they all seem to have a mean right hook. For years, DC Comics has consistently created amazing female superheroes. I'd like to pay tribute to these amazing women of the DC Universe with one of my patented pin-up series -- Ladies of DC! Fifth in this series is the willful Wonder Girl!

WONDER GIRL
Real Name: Cassandra "Cassie" Sandsmark
Other Notable Aliases: Drusilla
First Appearance: Wonder Woman (vol. 2) #105
Abilities: Flight, superhuman strength, speed, agility and durability

When I first glanced at Cassie when she was first created, I could have sworn she was a boy. I was confused as to why this boy was wearing a Wonder Woman t-shirt and why he chose to wore a black wig that made him look funny. When I finally began to read up on my Wonder Woman comics, I discovered that Cassie was indeed a tomboy who liked to pretend at being a superhero. Under John Byrne's pen, Cassie was a spunky young girl whose eventual identity as Wonder Girl was a refreshing addition to the book. As she grew older, Cassie grew out of her tomboy phase and became a fashion-conscious young lady. This, of course, attracted me immensely to the character. Her older teen self has some of the best costumes around! She's also part of the reason I gave the Teen Titans book a read when it came out. Unfortunately, Cassie's character devolved into a defiant character who knowingly kept secrets from Wonder Woman (um... let's try accepting gifts from Ares) and whose relationship to Superboy quick-stepped into badly written teen soap opera dribble. Although I haven't kept up with Wonder Girl in recent years (I'm ashamed to say), I continue to admire her costumes and hope that she'll eventually become as good a person as Donna had under Diana's guidance.

(BTW, I probably wouldn't have included her in this series but DAMN I love this costume!!!!)"
Ladies of DC: Bringing Out The Girls

No comments: