Thursday, August 5, 2010

DC75: There's a MAN on Paradise Island! (All-Star Comics #8, 1941)



A World War is raging, and ladies wearing pants is still frowned upon. Imagine what a shock it must have been to visit an island made up exclusively of scantily clad warrior women with the strength to pick up a grown man! It wouldn't be long before Wonder Woman could run, jump, punch and toss goons into other goons just as well as any Superman. Every messed up misandric/misogynistic Amazon story begins here, as does the forbidden romance of Diana and Steve Trevor.

For the full story, read Introducing Wonder Woman (December-January, 1941), or check out more highlights from the past 75 years of DC Comics at The Truly Most Memorable Moments of the DC Dodranscentennial

4 comments:

LissBirds said...

"Not pants, they're slacks. Watch your language!" ~Katharine Hepburn in Pat and Mike I just happened to think of that quote.

And I had to look up "misandric." I didn't know the word existed, nor did I know Wonder Woman stories were that messed up. I really need to get my hands on a WW Archives one of these days.

Lucky for Steve they decided to save him. If I lived on an all-woman island and saw a man for the first time, I'd probably freak out and beat him to death with a shovel by accident. This is why I am not a superhero.

Diabolu Frank said...

I think it was still true that all the Amazons but Diana had once lived in Man's World-- before whacking all of Hercules' men in the head with chains. For serious. I cannot wait to cover that story. Wack! Wack! Wack! Golden Age Wonder Woman is crazy fun!

LissBirds said...

Is that why every Amazon except Diana is blonde? Becuase they bought a lifetime supply of hair dye in Man's World and brought it back with them?

Watching people get hit in the head is entertainment gold. This is why I like Looney Tunes. And Hal Jordan.

Diabolu Frank said...

Amazon hair color came in every naturally occurring variety... all the better for our fighting men to fantasize about! Queen Hippolyte was originally brunette, then blond, and back again.